Date:      Fri, 14 Dec 2001 13:34:17 -0500
From:      "Derrick E. Norris" <derrick@norris-net.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Differences in sizes of binaries after recompiling

Hopefully this question won't expose some huge ignorance...

I first installed my system from a 4.3-RELEASE CD, then began
cvsupping the repository.  When 4.4-RELEASE was declared, I replaced
my /usr/src directory with the RELENG_4_4 tag, which I thought should
be identical to the 4.4-RELEASE tag at the time of release, and built
and installed world.  Everything seems fine, so now running
4.4-RELEASE (technically RELENG_4_4).

When I saw the security notification for sshd, I updated my /usr/src
to get the patches, and built just sshd.  I noticed quite a change in
the size of the binary and I know it could have been a result of the
patch, but I got curious so I built world again (but have not
installed it).  Before each build I completely cleared /usr/obj and
ran make clean in /usr/src (perhaps some of this may not have been
necessary, but I'm anal that way).

EVERY binary I looked at (and I looked at quite a few) from the new
buildworld was 10%-11% larger.  My question is, why would there be
such a large size difference in the binaries when building 4.4p1 from
4.4 (as was done the second time) as opposed to building 4.4 from 4.3
(as I did just after 4.4-RELEASE)?  Was enough work done on build
tools and libraries between 4.3 and 4.4 to explain the difference?
And should I install this new world in which the binaries are 10%
larger (in other words, is there something missing from the binaries
in the 4.4 world I built from 4.3)?

Thanks for any insight,
Derrick