Date:      Tue, 21 Apr 1998 12:46:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why is xtend in the base system?

<<On Mon, 20 Apr 1998 17:58:22 -0400, Nathan Dorfman <nathan@rtfm.net> said:

> Please don't Cc: me when replying to the list, I get the same message
> twice (mutt will stop doing this if you define the list using :lists
> and then use the L key for list-reply).

It is impossible for everyone to keep track of each individual list
member's preferences.  It is far better for you to simply filter out
the extra copies.  Many people prefer to have mail that is actually a
reply to them arrive with their address explicitly in it (e.g., for
filtering) or simply to arrive faster than the mailing-list mail does.

A duplicate message filter can be consed up easily with procmail (in
fact, it's one of the examples in the man pages):

:0 Wh: msgid.lock
| formail -D 8192 msgid.cache

-GAWollman