Date:      Fri, 12 Apr 2002 15:34:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      sagar kondru <kondru@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Configuring Suse Linux NIS client for a FreeBSD NIS server

--0-1651056413-1018650852=:24024

Hi ,

                  I have a lot of problems in configuring a Suse Linux box as a NIS client for a Freebsd NIS server. (two seperate boxes, one running FreeBSD 4.4 Nis server and one running Suse Linux 7.1 runnig Nis client). My aim is that any user in our small network should be able to login from this Suse Linux box.

     Everything looks fine, the ypbind is working properly and when I issue the command ,

    # ypcat passwd

     i can see that all the passwords that are mapped properly.I can see the various user accounts.I made sure that I have added the +:::::::: at the end in the /etc/passwd file.

  I know that  the Freebsd Nis server assumes that it is in a single server Nis environment with only Freebsd Nis clients. So, I made sure that the option "unsecure" is enabled in the /var/yp/Makefile on the Freebsd nis server  hoping that it will support my Linux client .But, it did not work either.

I have spent a lot of time on it. I dont know what the problem is.

  I installed Freebsd on the same linux box and made it a dual boot system. I configured the same box as Freebsd nis client and tested  and it just works fine. Anybody in the network can log into this system through this Freebsd client. But if i boot the same box into Linux, nobody can logon (except the accounts that are created in the local box).

I dont know where the problem is exactly at. I spent hours on it, but could not find the problem. Is this the problem of Suse Linux? Is there anyway that I can make it work? If anybody knows what Iam doing wrong, please let me know.

Thank You in advance,

Sagar Kondru

--0-1651056413-1018650852=:24024

<P>Hi ,</P>
<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I have a lot of problems in configuring a Suse Linux box as a NIS client for a Freebsd NIS server. (two seperate boxes, one&nbsp;running FreeBSD 4.4 Nis server and one running Suse Linux 7.1&nbsp;runnig Nis client).&nbsp;My aim is that any user in our small network should be able to login from this Suse&nbsp;Linux box.</P>
<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Everything looks fine, the ypbind is working properly and when I issue the command ,</P>
<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; # ypcat passwd&nbsp;&nbsp; </P>
<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;i can see that all the passwords that are mapped properly.I can see the various user accounts.I made sure that I have added the +:::::::: at the end in the /etc/passwd file.</P>
<P>&nbsp; I know that&nbsp; the Freebsd Nis server assumes that it is in a single server Nis environment with only Freebsd Nis clients. So, I made sure that the option "unsecure" is enabled in the /var/yp/Makefile on the Freebsd nis server&nbsp; hoping that it will support&nbsp;my Linux client&nbsp;.But, it did not work either.</P>
<P>I have spent a lot of time on it. I dont know what the problem&nbsp;is. </P>
<P>&nbsp; I installed Freebsd on the same linux box and made it a dual boot system. I configured the same box as Freebsd nis client and tested&nbsp; and it just works fine. Anybody in the network can log into this system through this Freebsd client. But if i boot the same box into Linux, nobody can logon (except the accounts that are created in the local box).</P>
<P>I dont know where the problem is exactly at. I spent hours on it, but could not find the problem. Is this the problem of Suse Linux? Is there anyway that I can make it work? If anybody knows what Iam doing wrong, please let me know.</P>
<P>Thank You in advance,</P>
--0-1651056413-1018650852=:24024--