Date:      Wed, 30 May 2001 01:59:57 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PATCH: media option for ethernet hw checksum

Brooks Davis wrote:

> On Fri, May 25, 2001 at 11:11:16PM +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > Here is a patch I have locally that would be useful for Bill Paul,
> > I think.  I know, we could use "flag0" for this, but it seems to
> > me that this will be an increasingly common option in hadware.
>
> Should this be implemented as a shared option like this?  I
> ask because NetBSD has added the following types and only
> has one shared option left:
>
> #define IFM_FLOW        0x00400000        /* enable hardware flow control */
> #define IFM_FLAG0       0x01000000        /* Driver defined flag */
> #define IFM_FLAG1       0x02000000        /* Driver defined flag */
> #define IFM_FLAG2       0x04000000        /* Driver defined flag */
> #define IFM_LOOP        0x08000000        /* Put hardware in loopback */
>
> Personaly I don't think I would have wasted 3/8th of the
> shared options on the abomination known as flags...

Flags can be device private, which can be a good thing.

I only use the patch because I know of no Gigabit ethernet
cards that are useful which can not perform checksum
offloading.

Maybe it should just always be on... I thought there was a
problem with performance, doing that with the Tigon II.

In any case, it seems to be a tradeoff that you might want
to make intentionally, if your main processor was 1.5GHz...

-- Terry