Date:      Fri, 31 Jul 1998 09:16:35 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Open Systems Networking <opsys@mail.webspan.net>
Subject:   Re: CRL Network Services Carries the Traffic of the Record-Breaking W alnut Creek CDROM FTP Site

On Thu, 30 Jul 1998, Open Systems Networking wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Jul 1998, Rick Siple wrote:
>
> > News of ftp.cdrom.com's performance have made it beyond our sheltered
> > mailing lists.  Although the article centers on CRL, it mentions FreeBSD
> > in a positive light, to say the least.

> This may just be me. My cache may be hosed, Im not sure but when you read
> this article it has a link to ftp.cdrom.com as http://ftp.cdrom.com. that
> goes to some ansi group's page :)
> I think this needs to be fixed altho i dont know how.

You're not the only one that encountered the surprise when clicking on
that link.  I thought for a second my cache was hosed too, or (ya,
right) some miscreants actually broke into ftp.cdrom.com.  I don't see
anything bad or offending on that page at all (just my opinion of
course), but it just seems very out of place. :-)

> "Walnut Creek CDROM was founded in August 1991..." The paragraph starting
> with this line, has a link to ftp.cdrom.com as http://ftp.cdrom.com
> which like I said took *me* to some ansi groups page. hehe
> I dont think that's what CRL wanted it pointing to.
> Does anyone else see this or is it just me off in lala land again?

Also known as.. uuh.. artpacks.acid.org?  Checked the DNS entry and it
sure enough points to wcarchive.cdrom.com.  My question is, how did
these guys get _lucky_ enough to have their page hosted on such a
great server? :-)

Hmmm.. after just now attempting to look at the page again (looked at
it yesterday), I'm getting 'connection refused'.

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
/* FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and compatibles (SPARC and Alpha under development)
   (http://www.freebsd.org)                                         */