Date:      Sun, 9 Apr 2000 18:27:01 +0200 (IST)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@cs.Technion.AC.IL>
To:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSDCon East

On 9 Apr 2000, Christian Weisgerber wrote:

> Marco Molteni <molter@sofia.csl.sri.com> wrote:
>
> > I would like to introduce you all to a language where there is NO
> > difference between spelling and pronunciation: Italian.
>
> Italian is certainly very regular in this respect.
> (BTW, why? Hasn't written Italian been largely the same since
> Dante's times? A lot of time for irregularities to creep in.)
>
> > I am wondering if there are other languages with this feature.
>
> Finnish.
> All languages that have only recently acquired their modern written
> form.

Turkish is another (its current written form is less than a century old).
Hebrew is also very regular in its pronounciation, but for the opposite
reason: it has been guarded for millenia against changes in pronounciation
and writing (though there are two schools in the pronounciation of Hebrew
- each with its own regularity).

> --
> Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                  naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de

Nadav