Date:      Sat, 14 Apr 2001 18:22:16 -0400
From:      Leonard Zettel <zettel@acm.org>
To:        Reg <fbsd@typhoon.co.jp>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: resolv.conf overwrite

Ok, this is a reply to my own post.  Consider it a progress
report on my understanding of the situation (and thanks to
all who helped get me there).

Leonard Zettel wrote:

> Reg wrote:
> >
> > Hello!
> >
> > My guess is that you're using DHCP?  If so, then resolve.conf is
> > overwritten at boot time to reflect the information given out by the DHCP
> > server.
> >
> Yes, it looks like I am using DHCP.  I have now studied the relevant
> man pages.  To continue on the elephant one bite at a time, given
> that I will (for the indefinite future anyway) always be going
> to another machine on my local network (192.168.0.185) to get to the net,
> is it necessary (or a good idea) to use DHCP?
No.
(snip)
> If I don't need DHCP, how do I turn it off?
It is being turned on by the following line in the default /etc/rc.conf
supplied with the system:

ifconfig_dc0="DHCP"

Remove the line (note that you will have to supply some network information
elsewhere).

(more snip)

  -LenZ-