Date:      Sun, 1 Feb 2004 02:49:11 +0100
From:      Harald Schmalzbauer <h@schmalzbauer.de>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Cheap ATA-Raid-Controllers

--Boundary-02=_lsFHABNqQmGQB7g

Hi all,

I'd especially like S=F8ren to make a advice which ATA-"Raid" Controller on=
 the=20
low end to choose.
I tried some based on SIL0680 and was dissapointed, same with HPT370(372)=20
based.
S=F8ren has recommended Promise Controllers (since they support FreeBSD=20
development) but he didn't make clear what series (S150/TX2000/TX4000/
SX6000).
Of course they are more expensive than a 25$ based SIL680 but if one drive=
=20
fails and the machine panics it's worth spending a little more.
On the other hand I can buy a 3ware 4 port parallel controller for about 20=
0$=20
so in my opinion the promise SX series has no right to exist since 3ware=20
always has been the straightedge for me.

I really think this is on topic with questions@, chat@ I think wasn't the=20
right place.

Thanks all,

=2DHarry