Date:      Sat, 10 Mar 2001 17:59:15 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        Jon Nathan <jon@rupture.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: security check output (fwd)

On Sat, Mar 10, 2001 at 06:58:41PM -0500, Jon Nathan wrote:
> hello,
>
> on one of my machines, i got the following daily security output.  the
> file permissions haven't really changed, but the numbers in teh first
> column did.  i never really noticed them before - what do they mean?

They are inode numbers. The modifications times changed too. This is
all desired behavior.

> you'll also notice the file:table is full error message.  i chopped
> about 1600 of them..  i've since changed the kern.maxfiles setting
> with sysctl.  am i correct to assume that the security run's find
> command just opens a lot of file handles, and when they're not
> available, weird things happen?

No, find(1) shouldn't do that. In the past, people have had problems
when they unwittingly created loops between defaults/rc.conf and
rc.conf, but that does not happen much anymore and you would probably
have noticed it before. The full file table messages should also be in
/var/log/messages. Check the times. Why do you think the daily scripts
caused them?