Date:      Mon, 2 Jun 1997 18:42:03 PDT
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why routed and not gated by default?

j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch) wrote:
>I know that Bill Fenner will heavily object now

Hm, I'm not sure that's the kind of name I want to have made for myself
in the FreeBSD community =)

routed used to screw up ppp/slip systems by trying to take charge of
the default route even though the other systems installed their own.
Not to sound too Terry-like, but this is a flaw in the BSD routing
architecture; multiple routing daemons should be able to co-exist.  We
changed ppp and slip to add static routes, which routed won't fool
with, but that's rather a hack.  While lamenting the flawed
architecture, the only realistic response is to disable routed on such
systems.

I still believe that router discovery should be enabled by default
on ethernet-connected end-systems that aren't acting as routers
themselves.

  Bill