Date:      Mon, 1 Sep 1997 23:22:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Neil <neil@corpex.com>
Cc:        Questions Freebsd <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Kernal Fault

On Mon, 1 Sep 1997, Neil wrote:

> 	What does all this actually mean; Do I have a memory problem,
> a SWAP problem a Kernel bug, or a duff perl script?
> (The perl script runs fine most of the time)
>
> Fatal Trap: page fault while in kernel mode.
> fault virtual address= 	0x68
> fault code= supervisor read, page not present
> instruction pointer= 0x8:0xf01852dd
> code segment = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
> 	     = DPL 0, pres 1, def 321, gran 1
> process eflags = interupt enabled, resume IOPL=0
> current process = 24446 (perl)
> interrupt mark=
> panic: page fault

I'm no pro at reading panic dumps, hackers@freebsd.org could probably help
you more.  Swap problems would manifest itself in other forms, such as
other log entries, and kernel bugs that result in this are pretty rare in
-RELEASEs.

The fault address of 0x68 is somewhat suspect.  What version of Perl is
this?  5.001 was known to have some pretty major problems, particularly
with regards to memory allocation. 5.003 fixes them up.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo