Date:      Thu, 1 Apr 1999 05:08:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi - the Wraith - Asami)
To:        rkw@dataplex.net
Cc:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com, jhay@mikom.csir.co.za, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /var/db/pkg/.mkversion

 * From: Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>

 * I have to agree that the problem is real.
 * However, let me point out that a "one identifier" solution is
 * very short sided.
              sighted :>

 * There are two distinct environments to be considered.
 * The HOST environment and the TARGET environment.
 * For convience, we should also consider a TOOLSET
 * environment which is a cross between the two.

(Rolling my eyes.)

This issue has nothing to do with hosts and targets.  The ports tree
has never supported building ports on a system with a version other
than the one that is going to run it.  (And we don't intend to start
doing it any time soon either, sorry. ;)

-W