Date:      Mon, 3 Nov 1997 10:08:31 -0800
From:      kjw@puma.engr.sgi.com (Kevin Wang)
To:        "Vanill I. Shu" <vanilla@MinJe.com.TW>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   sb, sbxvi, audio playback problem using ports/audio/amp/amp-0.7.6

 From: "Vanill I. Shu" <vanilla@MinJe.com.TW>
>On Sat, Nov 01, 1997 at 01:01:16AM -0800, Kevin Wang wrote:
>> I am using amp on another platform quite successfully (irix) but when I
>> am trying to play an mp3 file on my freebsd machine, it comes out somewhat
>> garbled.  The only symptom that I can say for sure is happening is that
>> the playback time is exactly twice what it should be.
>> Unfortunately, I can'te even tell if my sound card is working or is
>> even installed correctly, since I don't have any audio test tools other
>> than mixer.
>> Could you suggest some direction or programs which might help my
>> diagnosis?
>the simple way,
>got an .au, cat the.au > /dev/dsp
>if your soundcard installed correctly,
>you can hear sound.
>if not....

after fighting with the machine for a long time, I found that it
should've been "cat sound.au >/dev/audio".

so my card, detected as a SB Pro (3.1), works.

>PS.
>you run amp as normal user?..

No, i've been running it as root, since I keep forgetting to chown the
code to me.

The problem persists, though.  any .mp3 I play runs twice as long, and
if I twiddle the source to turn stereo on instead of off, the audio is
recognizable, but has lots and lots of static.

I think that amp isn't setting the dsp correctly.

my machine info:
2.2.5-RELEASE
P100, digital hinote ultra II laptop
ESS1688 detected as a SoundBlaster Pro 3.1
soundfile:
	http://reality.sgi.com/kjw_engr/out.mp3
	22kHz, mono, runs about 2.5 minutes

Could you try this soundfile and see if it sounds okay on your system?
If so, then it's a driver problem.  If not, then it is an amp problem.

The chip (ess1688) says it is supposed to be capable of running as a
Sb16, but I can't get sbxvi to load.  I've tried many different drq's,
etc, but can't get it loaded.  Does that matter?  will the sbpro handle
22.1kHz, mono or does it need to be downconverted to 8-bit mulaw?  I
hope not...

And do I need opl?  I won't be doing any midi.

>could i ask a private question?..
>are you a Chinese?..  Wang seems a Chinese surname..

yes, my parents are both chinese.

   - Kevin Wang, kjw@sgi.com

*** Please make sure to cc me on the reply, I am not subscribed to
freebsd-multimedia!