Date:      Fri, 9 Nov 2001 14:21:58 +0100 (CET)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?m=20p?= <sumirati@yahoo.de>
To:        brain_damaged@florida-wireless.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ssh gets no prompts or anything

brain_damaged wrote:

> Hello,
> *sigh*
> I have redone my machine that was hacked with the
> adorebsd-0.34. However I ran into a problem and think I have screwed it up
> more than did good.
> My ssh was not working right. I could connect but get no prompts or anything.
> The freebsd machine
> did not report any errors on the console or in the logs.

Whenever you have problems with ssh start it with the -v option like "ssh -v
yourmachinenameorip". There will be much more information what is wrong. So you
will be able to tell us more (at least the output) what is going wrong.

> SO I downloaded the ports and made install for ssh2.

Hint: Everytime you want to download and install a port read "pkg-descr" in the
directory your port resides. So you will get informations what exactly you are
going to install.

> THis is definately not the same ssh that installed when I installed the
> system. I see alot of different files in the dir like ssh-add and agent and
> agent2 so I did not get the same one.

Nope. This ssh is the "offical" one from the guy who invented ssh and build a
company upon this. see www.ssh.com for more details.
The one your were using before was OpenSSH, developed from some OpenBSD
developers. It is in your ports under /usr/ports/security/openssh2.

Next time please try "cd /usr/ports; make search key=<whatyouwanttoinstall>".
It will show you all available software around that topic, you can read a
little bit up what fits your purpose best and then install that software.

> Then on reboot I got errors about not being able to bind and figured that was

> due to the one that I thought was not working was still running. So in
rc.conf
> I set sshd_enable to no. I no longer get the can't bind error but my ssh2 is
> doing the same thing as the orginal ssh. Seems to connect but no prompts or
> anything.

The new one installed a startup script under /usr/local/etc (I guess).
OpenSSH is assumed the "normal" ssh under FreeBSD. So it has an entry in
/etc/rc.conf.

> I have searched google for answers but none seem to relate to my problem.
> How can I fix this problem ?

Send the output of ssh -v (either with ssh from ssh.com or with openssh) to the
list (or read it yourself) so someone can see what the problem exactly is.

>Where do I go from here other than the bar to get drunk. ?

#define here *g*

> Thanks
> bd

Hope that helps