Date:      Mon, 21 Apr 1997 21:40:06 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <sysop@mixcom.com>
To:        "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Quest? -- Changing "From:" field from sent mail

At 07:45 AM 4/21/97 -0700, Eric J. Schwertfeger wrote:
>On Sun, 20 Apr 1997, Dan Busarow wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 19 Apr 1997, Sonya and Jeffrey Metcalf wrote:
>> > be properly responded to by my recipients.  So my question is, can
>> > I configure sendmail in some way that it always lists the response
>> > address of all the mail from all my users as "metcalf@snet.net"
>> > rather than "jeff@dane.snet.net" or "sonya@dane.snet.net", etc.?
>>
>> The MASQUERADE_AS suggestions won't work because the mail would
>> then be from jeff@snet.net or sonya@snet.net.  Not metcalf@snet.net.
>> If you only had those two addresses you could probably work a deal
>> with your ISP but your etc.. suggests you have more.
>
>Wouldn't it be possible to use the same type of virtual rewriting that is
>used on virtualized servers?  I know I can set explicitly tell our server
>that any mail from local user X should be rewritten as Y@Z.

This sounds S10 and S30 line additions.

Ran into some problems with reports under cron that fail dismally when
sendmail is used, but mail works fine.  I am used to an older sendmail,
still it should add the @host.domain in the from and return-path lines when
it checks the alias file and finds it redirected (mail proxy didn't like it
w/o at least *something* before and after the "@") or did I explain/miss
something. <shrug>  Long day.

Waiting on a the bat book.  8-)

Jeff Mountin - System/Network Administrator
jeff@mixcom.net

MIX Communications
Serving the Internet since 1990