Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2001 18:01:40 -0600
From:      "Korey Pelton" <peltkore@hotmail.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   US Robotics PCI modem not found

Hello everyone,

I have FreeBSD 4.0.  I have an almost brand new internal 58k PCI US Robotics
Performance Pro modem connected and it works fine with Windows (which I am
running on the same machine on a separate hard drive).  This is not a
Winmodem.  Windows says it is on COM 5, irq 10.  After playing with the sio
lines in the kernel config file and rebuilding the kernel many, many times,
I set sio1, sio2, and sio3 to irq 10, hoping that modem would be on one of
them.  I also included in each sio line "flags 0x10" and it seemed to get
something to appear on the sio3 line of dmesg.  sio0 is a regular serial
port and it is detected fine.  Here is a portion of my dmesg:

pci0: <unknown card> (vendor=0x12b9, dev=0x1008) at 11.0 irq 10

(Does this line mean that it has found a card on the PCI bus with an irq of
10?  Could this be my modem?)

sio0 at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa0
sio0: type 16550A
sio1: configured irq 10 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
sio2: configured irq 10 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
sio3: configured irq 10 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
sio3 at port 0x2e8-0x2ef irq 10 flags 0x10 on isa0
sio3: type 8250

Every time I try to dial out on cuaa3 (using the tip utility), it locks up
FreeBSD so that I have to push the restart button.  I even tried dialing out
on cuaa0 (a serial port obviously) and it said "cannot connect to sportster"
or something like that and gave me three or four timeout messages and died.
I call the modem a sportster in the /etc/remote file because that is the
nearest thing to what it is.

Sorry for the lengthy email and I would appreciate any answers.

Thanks,

Korey