Date:      Tue, 06 Aug 2002 22:57:21 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira <lioux@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>, Gary Jennejohn <garyj@jennejohn.org>, Aaron Seelyes <aseelye@urx.com>
Subject:   Re: Cooling idle Athlon/Duron processors? (vcool)

Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira wrote:
>         I know that this surfaces every once in a while. However,
> I thought I could try to add more information. I did a little digging
> on the issue.

Every time this comes up I ask:

o	Have you got a software method of detecting use of a half
	frequency multiplier yet?

o	Have you got a software method of diabling the ACPI C2
	and C3 low-power states?

o	Have you figured out how to make use of C2 and C3 vs.
	disconnect, so that this can be done at the user option?

o	Can you *reliably* detect the AMD Athlon Model 4 PLL via
	software?

o	Have you been able to get AMD to release the contents of
	their proprietary REvision documents #23614 and #24478 so
	that the CLK_CTRL MSR reconnect timining can implement the
	necessary workaround in software?

o	Is there a way to detect, in software, the variability of
	the power supply, since the thing can hang on wakeup with
	the 35-55W delta increase in power consumnption coming out
	of the sleep?

Then I point out that ACPI is hard enough as it is, without trying
t disable only parts of it so that you can do a weird hack on the
Northbridge to support disconnect.

Then I point them at:

	http://vcool.occludo.net/vc_freezes.html

So that it's obvious that it's the author of "vcool" who has
identified these problems, and not just me.

Feel free to write a kernel module and/or provide patches for doing
"vcool" for FreeBSD.  Just as long as it's off by default, until you
resolve the bullet pointed questions, above.

-- Terry