Date:      Wed, 24 Sep 1997 05:51:43 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        joe@pavilion.net (Josef Karthauser)
Cc:        dkelly@hiwaay.net, arg@arg1.demon.co.uk, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lpr/lpd and HP networked printers

> Talking of HP laserjets... has anyone had any success in configuring
> a printcap to enable paper tray selection?

A long time ago.  I used a "banner page" that output a tray select;
I also did a "banner page" that would do a "Postscript select" or an
"HPGL select".

We actually got rid of user selectable paper trays, and loaded yellow
paper into one (the smaller) tray and white into the other.  Then we
selected the yellow tray, output a real banner, selected the white
tray, and output the print job.  So we ended up with a banner anyway
(it was for a student lab, and it made seperating jobs into alphabetic
bins easier for the lab aides).

Anyway, lie about your banner, and define multiple printers that
use different "banners" to reference the same physical printer.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---