Date:      Sun, 11 Mar 2007 14:00:04 -0600
From:      "Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC" <chad@shire.net>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        User Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Tool for validating sender address as spam-fighting technique?

On Mar 11, 2007, at 1:46 PM, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 11, 2007 at 01:43:22PM -0600, Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net
> LLC wrote:
>>
>> On Mar 11, 2007, at 1:36 PM, Kris Kennaway wrote:

>>> I hate sender verification because it forces me (the sender) to jump
>>> through hoops just for the privilege of sending email to you.
>>
>> No, it forces you to set up a correct RFC abiding system
>>
>>> I send
>>> a lot of "courtesy" emails to e.g. port maintainers who have
>>> problems
>>> with their ports, and when I encounter someone with such a system I
>>> usually don't bother following up (their port just gets marked
>>> broken
>>> in the usual way, and they can follow up on it on their own if they
>>> want to).
>>
>> If your system is following the RFCs then you should have no
>> problems.  YOU should fix your broken system.  Sending emails without
>> a valid from address is disconsiderate.  Why should I accept a mail
>> from an account that violates the RFCs about accepting DSN back?
>
> Perhaps we are talking about different things, I am talking about
> systems which send me an email back requiring me to do steps a, b or c
> in order to complete delivery of the email.

No, we are talking about the MTA verifying that the sender address is
a real address that can accept either mail back or at least a
properly formatted DSN back.

The things you talk about ARE a PITA and I usually ignore them unless
the person is wanting to give me money...  (Ie a customer who placed
an order with another business I run for example).

Chad

---
Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC
Your Web App and Email hosting provider