Date:      Wed, 28 May 1997 22:06:42 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Peter Korsten <peter@grendel.IAEhv.nl>
Cc:        Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Correct way to chroot for shell account users?

In message <19970526233013.13944@hw.nl> Peter Korsten writes:
: I don't think you can build a real shell (like sh or csh) and have
: it run safely inside a chroot environment. Someone (as a matter of
: fact, the FreeBSD security officer :) ) showed me how to break out
: of a chroot environment with a simple 'ln' or something like that.

chroot jails are trivial to break out of for any root user that can
run a binary.  I didn't know you could do it with a simple ln command,
however.

And fixing the chroot jail is very very very hard.  You can get some
of the easy holes, but the harder ones are just insane.  Heck, OpenBSD
hasn't fixed them yet because they are so hard.

It goes back to wanting to have a safe ring system of security and
chroot is a simple hack for that :-(.

Warner