Date:      Sun, 1 Jun 1997 10:03:20 +0300
From:      Anatoly Vorobey <mellon@pobox.com>
To:        Steve Howe <un_x@anchorage.net>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: signed/unsigned cpp

You, Steve Howe, wrote on Sat, May 31, 1997 at 09:43:53PM -0800:

> how can this be?  i changed my argument to
>   "signed char *" and gcc doesn't like it.  so i change it to
> "unsigned char *" and gcc doesn't like it either!  gcc wants to
> have it's cake and eat it too!  it doesn't mind "char *" though.
>
> so what's wrong with adding "signed" or "unsigned"?

>From gcc's Info:

     Each kind of machine has a default for what `char' should be.  It
     is either like `unsigned char' by default or like `signed char' by
     default.

And later:

     The type `char' is always a distinct type from each of `signed
     char' or `unsigned char', even though its behavior is always just
     like one of those two.

gcc is probably acting up because you specified a fascistic
warning level ;) In fact I just tried to reproduce it and -Wall
-pedantic did the trick, while -Wall by itself or even with
-ansi wasn't enough.

--
Anatoly Vorobey,
mellon@pobox.com http://pobox.com/~mellon/