Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 2000 21:15:27 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, Jason Evans <jasone@canonware.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, brian@hak.lan.Awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: Destabilization due to SMP development

What about doing the changes on a branch with the understanding that
the branch will *replace* HEAD when it stabilises ?

This sounds odd at first glance, but it means that others are forced
to MFC into the smp branch - if they don't they lose.

Anybody that's not confident to be able to merge into the smp branch
will simply be in the same position - merge or hold off.  They'd also
be just as likely to break the smp work with their commits as if the
smp work was done in HEAD.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@[uk.]FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@[uk.]OpenBSD.org>