Date:      18 Aug 1999 17:49:52 -0700
From:      asami@freebsd.org (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "Alexey M. Zelkin" <phantom@cris.net>, Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>, doc@freebsd.org, doc-jp@jp.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Default FDP docs installation directory?

 * From: Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>

 * > $ lynx file:///usr/share/doc/en/
 * >
 * > than
 * >
 * > $ lynx file:///usr/local/share/doc/fdp/en/
 * >
 * > First is more intuitive, I think.
 *
 * If the sysadmin wants this as local policy they can enforce it with a
 * symlink (possibly as a selectable option in doc/Makefile, to make the
 * link automatically).

The issue is not about local policy, Nik.  There are literally dozens
of Japanese FreeBSD books and magazines out there that includes a
variation of the first line up there as the command to read the
handbook.  (I don't know about other countries but I suspect the
situation is the same.)

When people buy a book, install the latest system and find out it
doesn't work, they get pissed.  And we (on the Japanese mailing lists)
are the ones that hear about it.

Or worse, they just go away and install Linux, and we never hear from
them again.

Satoshi