Date:      Wed, 18 Mar 2015 12:05:22 -0700
From:      jungle Boogie <jungleboogie0@gmail.com>
To:        Baho Utot <baho-utot@columbus.rr.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD recommends not using base unbound for an authoritative server

Hi Bato,
On 17 March 2015 at 17:46, Baho Utot <baho-utot@columbus.rr.com> wrote:

> On 03/17/15 19:28, Stephen R Guglielmo wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 17 Mar 2015 16:25:09 -0700
>> Chris Stankevitz <chrisstankevitz@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> For the same reasons, I'd like to run the base system's unbound to
>>> authoritatively host my DNS... but FreeBSD is discouraging me in
>>> section 29.7.2 of the manual.  Why the discouragement?
>>
>> Unbound is only a validating caching resolver. It *can't* be
>> authoritative.
>

> I am using unbound as an authoritative DNS resolver for my home network,  it
> also is the caching resolver.

> It runs on a raspberry pi under FreeBSD 11.

Does that mean you're using it to resolve hostnames on your local
network, or is your raspberry pi actually resolving example.com for
requests?
If it's the former, that means you're adding A records in unbound.conf
and then setting your clients to raspberry pi IP in /etc/resolv.conf

If it's the latter, hopefully you have a backup NS and it's something
a) outside of your home where the raspberry pi is and b) something
more substantial than the raspberry pi.

See:
https://unbound.net/pipermail/unbound-users/2008-May/000063.html

--