Date:      04 Jul 2002 13:16:22 +0200
From:      Jan Lentfer <Jan.Lentfer@web.de>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: List of ports that can be compiled with compaq-cc

Am Mit, 2002-07-03 um 04.37 schrieb Terry Lambert:

> Look, I *understand* that you would like a list to "just be there".
>
> This is a simple idea in concept, but not so simple in execution,
> which is what you must understand.
>

> I'm telling you that such a list is not realistically maintainable
> over time, and you are going to need another approach.
>
> I'm also telling you that inisisting that the list be compiled
> before anything else is done towards the goal, assumes once again
> that "it's a simple as compiling a list".  This is still a gross
> oversimplification, and is unworkable, for the reasons I've listed.
>
> At best, you will get a transient snapshot of the data you want,
> which might be good enough for you, if you don't upgrade your
> Alpha ports tree, but isn't really good enough to get to where it
> needs to be, in order to be self-maintaining, or useful to the
> community that you are asking to do the work.
>
> If you want the work done by someone other than yourself (e.g. by
> setting the environment variable and attempting the compilation),
> the results will need to have persistent value to the community,
> not just one-time value to you.

Hi Terry,

first off, I think I'll have to excuse for the last mail I sent, it was
mostly based on a fundamental misunderstanding on my site (and being a
little stressed out because of diploma exams ahead), I think.
What you wrote above actually is what I would like to have and what I
would like to contribute to. I didn't mean to have "a list just for me"
- at the time of posting my email, in my thoughts was an interactive,
public accessible list where people can write down what ports they
successfully build using the compaq-cc. Of course, integrating such a
thing into the ports system is by far the better approach. But from my
hazy formulation you can guess that I do understand by far too little
about the ports-system and how this could be integrated into it. Thus, I
came up with the idea of such a list, because from my knowledge at that
time it was the only obvious way in my eyes. Not knowing fundamentals
makes you choose the wrong way, I guess.
But one thing I still want to stress out: I didn't have the intention to
let the community do the work for me. I actually thought of this as an
contribution to the community from my side: setting up the list, sharing
the experiences I make right now trying to install an Alpha-FreeBSD from
the start using the compaq-cc wherever possible. It was the wrong
approach, as I said already. But still I don't want to give up on this,
but choose a different way, as you pointed out to me. I still think
there would be a lot of benefit for FreeBSD-Alpha if more parts could be
compiled with compaq-cc. Not that I disklike gcc, actually I don't feel
to good about using ccc, but at the moment gcc is a waste of resources,
being about 300% slower in floating point operations on Alpha.

Again, sorry for being unreasonable harsh. But please do not let this be
the reason to put down the idea on the whole.

Regards,

Jan Lentfer