Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 2002 21:39:30 +0100
From:      Josef Karthauser <joe@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        Mark Santcroos <marks@ripe.net>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vmware reads disk on non-sector boundary

On Wed, Sep 25, 2002 at 11:29:12AM -0700, Julian Elischer wrote:
> vmware used the blocking ("b" devices) interface to disks that do
> blocking for you.
>
> Some well meaning but misguided individuals removed block devices
> without providing an alernate way of doing this. It should be possible
> to do the equivalent of a vn device that accepts misalligned
> accesses and reblocks them, but I'll leave that to those whose
> job it is to finish.

I thought that we hacked around this in the linuxulator 18 months ago
by transparently converting block calls into character calls behind the
scenes.  Either this has been removed or something else is wrong.

Joe
--
"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain;
and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality." - Albert