Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 2008 19:37:32 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 7.1 and BIND exploit

--------------enig5488BAD5E4511AF4D0C2864A

Doug Barton wrote:
> Matthew Seaman wrote:
>=20
>> Are there any plans to enable DNSSEC capability in the resolver built =

>> into FreeBSD?
>=20
> The server is already capable of it. I'm seriously considering enabling=
=20
> the define to make the CLI tools (dig/host/nslookup) capable as well=20
> (there is already an OPTION for this in ports).

Forgive me for being obtuse.  What I meant was the capability to enable c=
hecking signatures on DNS RRs as a routine effect of getnameinfo() etc.
by modifying resolver(3) routines or similar locally, without needing a
DNSSEC enabled recursive resolver listed in resolv.conf?  I've a feeling
the answer is no, but I haven't been able to find anything definitive.

Which I suppose simply means that if you're in the habit of, for example,=
=20
taking your laptop into the coffee shop and getting on line there then yo=
u=20
need to run your own instance of named on your laptop rather than blindly=
=20
trusting whatever servers the coffee shop provides via their DHCP.

> The problem is that _using_ DNSSEC requires configuration changes in=20
> named.conf, and more importantly, configuration of "trust anchors" (eve=
n=20
> for the command line stuff) since the root is not signed. It's not hard=
=20
> to do that with the DLV system that ISC has in place, and I would be=20
> willing to create a conf file that shows how to do that for users to=20
> include if they choose to. I am not comfortable enabling it by default =

> (not yet anyway), it's too big of a POLA issue.

I sense a business opportunity in providing DLV there.  I'm wondering why=

the likes of Verisign (including Thawte and Geotrust), Comodo group and=20
GoDaddy aren't circling like vultures over a dead wildebeest.  Perhaps th=
ey=20
are.

	Cheers,

	Matthew