Date:      Fri, 9 Nov 2001 16:57:54 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramidi@hotmail.com>
To:        Sudirman Hassan <s9810048@mmu.edu.my>
Cc:        vikashb@mweb.co.za, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unable to send messages to freebsd-questions

From: Sudirman Hassan <s9810048@mmu.edu.my>
Date: Thu, Nov 08, 2001 at 05:13:35PM +0800

> Hi,
> I'd the same problem when I subscribe using lycosmail. I can
> subscribe,receive mail but not sending.  When I use my university
> mail account, everything work just fine. Maybe the list need
> registered account.. not free mail account such as yahoomail etc.

Nope.  I can send mail from my workstation at home, and have the
headers say that the message originates from my account at Hotmail.
It's all a matter of how you have set your mail-server up.

In fact, if you look at the headers of *this* message, you'll see it
does not come from a .hotmail.com machine, but from my dialup
workstation :)

> This just my guess.. I'm yet to find any statement about it in
> mailing list page.

And you won't find.  The mailing lists are not moderated or closed, so
you can post from any address, provided your mail passes a few checks
that are done for reducing the amount of spam mail that gets through.