Date:      17 Jan 2001 11:17:29 -0500
From:      Randell Jesup <rjesup@wgate.com>
To:        Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
Cc:        bright@wintelcom.net (Alfred Perlstein), arch@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS-UP: await/asleep removal imminent

>It seems Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>> I have a patch here that removes await/asleep from the kernel API.
>>
>> http://people.freebsd.org/~alfred/noasleep.diff
>>
>> Matt Dillon implemented alseep/await quite some time ago and the
>> only thing that's using it is ata.  In order to clean up some of
>> the schduler and vm system I'm removing support for it.
>>
>> Peter Wemm and I suspect that ata doesn't need it.  Right now I'm
>> running several make -j128 buildworlds and buildkernels with this
>> patch to catch any ata problems.

        Ummmm...

        It seems to me from reading the man page for asleep/await that
they have significant utility, and that the real issue would be one of
code not using them, especially as people work to remove the Giant
lock for SMP.

        Or is the discussion in the man page wrong in some way?

--
Randell Jesup, Worldgate Communications, ex-Scala, ex-Amiga OS team ('88-94)
rjesup@wgate.com