Date:      Mon, 16 Dec 2002 11:08:50 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        lists@redlamb.net (Peter Erickson)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tape Backup

> I am running Freebsd 4.6 and my dds-2 tape backup drive just died on me.
> I am interested in moving up to a bigger capacity drive so does anyone
> have any recommendations? I am not interested in anything high end, this
> is just for my system at home. I was looking at the dds-3 drives, but
> before i went out and bought one, I would like opinions and or
> recommendations. Thanks in advance.

We have DDS-3 drives on a number of systems and mostly they work well.

We have a couple of systems that cannot be written/read with dd or cp
which causes us a problem and we haven't discovered a reason yet.  Those
are all on Dell systems, but I don't remember the drive model[s]/maker[s]
at the moment.  Interestingly enough, tar will still write/read them.

Besides that problem, keep in mind that DAT, though a nice format
for light duty work, doesn't seem to be designed to handle really
heavy demand work - nearly 24/7 backup work of multiple systems or
whatever.

////jerry