Date:      Sun, 12 Mar 2000 14:09:41 -0500
From:      "Mitch Vincent" <mitch@venux.net>
To:        "Mike" <mikey@kappaisle.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Password distribution and authentication

I'm working towards using a central SQL database (probably MySQL) for all
authentication -- in fact, everything period..

I'm working on a SQL DNS server, there is a semi broken one at
bind.linuxos.net.

There isn't an "in a box" solution for this, so far I have :

ProFTPD as the FTP daemon, there is a mod_mysql and mod_sqlpw for it that
seems to work nicely.

Qpopper with a patch to auth from a MySQL database
(http://www.netd.co.za/mysql_mail/)

And Exim as a MTA (http://www.netd.co.za/mysql_mail/)  - it has native
support for MySQL :-)

RADIUS - There are plenty of MySQLized RADIUS servers,  Cistron is one
(there are links to others at http://www.miquels.cistron.nl/radius/)

I've also toyed with the idea of using the PAM module for RADIUS
authentication, nearly everything now has support for PAM authentication.

Good luck!

-Mitch