Date:      Sun, 30 Dec 2001 21:52:52 -0500
From:      "Joe & Fhe Barbish" <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
To:        <gnome@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        <ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD Port: mc-4.5.54_2

Dear Midnight commander port maintainer.

I have no place to turn to, I have exhausted all sources of research
on the Midnight commander program. In the FBSD question I asked for
recommendation for a command line file manager like the MS/Dos tree
command. Many FBSD users recommended Midnite commander. I installed
it from the ports and have trying to get it to work. I can not get
mouse point & click or cut & Past to work when Midnite commander is
launched from the command line. All indications from different FBSD
mailing list indicate that these functions worked in the past but
now only works when Midnite commander is launched from XFree. I do
not have XFree installed on my machine. I selected the kernel devel
option during stand/sysinstall. I have tried the below listed additions
to rc.conf without any results. I have searched all the mailing lists
including FBSD's using google looking for Midnite commander, Midnight
commander, mc, and midc going back to 1997. I even emailed the people
who answered questions and there email addressed bounced. Below are some
snipits that looked interesting as subjects that needed looking into,
but are out of my domain of knowledge.
That is why I have turned to you for help.

What needs to be done to get mouse control to work for point & click and
cut & Past when launched from the command line with out having the
base XFree system installed on the machine?

The MC FAQ says
3.1 How do I enable mouse support?
  Invoke midc like this (without quotes): "midc -x". If this doesn't work
  upgrade to a terminal which is compatible with the Xterm mouse sequences.
  Alternatively, on Linux console you can use gpm.

Same results starting with midc -x as with out the -x, mouse does not work.
What do I have to do to make the master root console to act like a xterm
or enable the console/telnet to use a mouse compatible configuration?

Lack of "vidcontrol -m on" on the other consoles.
add this lines to your "/etc/rc.conf" file.

moused_enable="YES"            # Run the mouse daemon.
moused_type="ps/2"             # Set the type of mouse.
moused_port="/dev/psm0"        # Set to your mouse port.
moused_flags="-3"              # Any additional flags to moused.
allscreens_flags="-m on"       # Vidcontrol mode for all virtual screens.

A final alternative might be to recompile your kernel with pcvt instead
of syscons.  That'll give you a vt220 by default.  But I'm not sure how
well supported that is these days (probably fine; I just haven't heard
of anyone using it in a while).

Did the latest gpm (1.17.8-1) break the mouse in Midnite Commander for
anyone else? Mouse quit  in MC with latest potato gpm update- Has been
a few updates ago it quit in aumix also. Seems to cut-and-paste ok but
no click-on works. Works normally in XFree.

Further info: replaced gpm with 1.17.8-2 from "incoming" - no
improvement :(Replaced gpm with Slink gpm- now mc works fine
but aumix still does not respond to mouse properly.
Must be problem in aumix.