Date:      08 Jan 2001 12:07:18 +0100
From:      Eric Masson <e-masson@kisoft-services.com>
To:        Harry Terkanian <hterkanian@yahoo.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 3C509 PnP NIC support

    Harry> On boot all I see about the card is:
    Harry> "isa0: if_ep: <3Com 3C509-TPO EtherLink III> at 0x210 in PnP
    Harry> mode!"

3C509 can't be used in pnp mode by ep.

You have to use the 3Com Etherdisk to switch off pnp on the card and give it i/o
address and irq not in use on your system.

    Harry>   I cannot create a device for ep or ep0 using /dev/MAKEDEV.

Lan cards don't need a device entry in /dev.

Eric Masson
--
Progress (n) : What led from smart users in front of dumb terminals to
dumb users in front of smart terminals.