Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 2002 00:12:51 -0400
From:      Chris Pepper <pepper@reppep.com>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: docs/39824: Various tweaks for doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig/chapter.sgml; corresponding comment clarification for GENERIC

	Some additional comments on this chapter:

>If you have not upgraded your source tree in any way (you have not
>run CVSup, CTM, or used anoncvs), then you should use the config,
>make depend, make, make install sequence.

	This paragraph appears to assume that should use the old
kernel build procedure, rather than the new procedure. I'm not sure
what the equivalent is for the new style, or if this para serves any
purpose (after the earlier section explaining when to use old vs. new
procedures).

>This line allows the kernel to simulate a math co-processor if your
>computer does not have one (386 or 486SX). If you have a 486DX, or a
>386 or 486SX (with a separate 387 or 487 chip), or higher (Pentium,
>Pentium II, etc.), you can comment this line out.

	It would be worth mentioning whether or not a Celeron
includes an FPU here, since many people know Celerons are somehow
less capable (cache) than a real Pentium, but not the details, or
that they can check the Features line in dmesg.

>     options          MSDOSFS      #MSDOS Filesystem
>

>The MS-DOS filesystem. Unless you plan to mount a DOS formatted hard
>drive partition at boot time, you can safely comment this out. It
>will be automatically loaded the first time you mount a DOS
>partition, as described above. Also, the excellent mtools software
>(in the ports collection) allows you to access DOS floppies without
>having to mount and unmount them (and does not require MSDOSFS at
>all).
>

>     options          CD9660       #ISO 9660 Filesystem
>     options          CD9660_ROOT  #CD-ROM usable as root, CD9660 required
>

>The ISO 9660 filesystem for CDROMs. Comment it out if you do not
>have a CDROM drive or only mount data CDs occasionally (since it
>will be dynamically loaded the first time you mount a data CD).
>Audio CDs do not need this filesystem.

	Unclear -- I *think* these paras mean if the fs need not be
built into the kernel, because modules are loaded as necessary, but
this is confusing.

>If you have not upgraded your source tree in any way (you have not
>run CVSup, CTM, or used anoncvs), then you should use the config,
>make depend, make, make install sequence.

	This paragraph appears to assume that should use the old
kernel build procedure, rather than the new procedure. I'm not sure
what the equivalent is for the new style, or if this para serves any
purpose (after the earlier section explaining when to use old vs. new
procedures).

						Chris Pepper
--
Chris Pepper:               <http://www.reppep.com/~pepper/>;