Date:      Tue, 03 Aug 1999 12:09:03 +0100
From:      Cillian Sharkey <cillian@baker.ie>
To:        gram@cequrux.com
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multiple versions of FreeBSD on one HDD

>I am trying to install both 2.2.8 and 3.2 on a single 17Gb HDD, but
>am not having much luck. I have tried several approaches, in particular
>creating four partitions, the first two for the respective root slices,
>the third for swap, and the fourth for the remaining slices. If I create
>the first two partitions as small as 50Mb, sysinstall still complains
>that it can't make a root slice in the second partition as the boot
>loader can't deal with that location. If I create the /usr and /var
>slices for the second OS and then say `Use defaults for all' it creates
>a 32MB root slice in the second partition, so that seems to get around
>the problem, but I can't boot this after the install is done.

Not too sure what exactly you're trying to do here -but how about
creating a separate
*slice* for the two versions, then go install one version into one
slice, carve
that slice up into partitions (one for root /usr swap etc.) reboot, then
go install
the other version into the other slice, carve it up into partitions etc.

This way you should have something similar to:
da0s1 = FreeBSD 2.2.8, da0s2 = FreeBSD 3.2
AFAIK, wd0a will refer to wd0s1a etc.

Hope this helps, but why do you want 2.2.8 ? 3.2 is much better :)

- Cillian