Date:      Sun, 16 Apr 2000 01:41:26 +0000
From:      Anatoly Vorobey <mellon@pobox.com>
To:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/contrib/tcsh - Imported sources

On Sun, Apr 16, 2000 at 12:05:17AM +0200, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> David E. O'Brien <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:
>
> >   Import the latest version of the 44BSD C-shell -- tcsh-6.09.
>
> I'm unhappy about this for a reason that hasn't even been mentioned
> in the monster thread that clogged -arch:
>
> Including tcsh in the base system means that people will use it.
> csh clearly isn't good enough for people to use, and when they
> looked around for a better interactive shell, many found their way
> to proper sh-ish shell like bash or ksh. Now they will stay with
> tcsh instead. And they will write (t)csh scripts. Importing tcsh
> gives new life to a shell family that should die, die, die.

I support this completely. I have actually seen that happen many times.
Way back when I was young and clueless I have found my way to sh-ish
shells from the dark pits of tcsh, and what helped me most was that
one system I used had neither tcsh installed, nor quots larged enough
for me to compile it.

IMHO tcsh(1) in the base system is a Very Bad Thing(TM).

--
Anatoly Vorobey,
mellon@pobox.com http://pobox.com/~mellon/