Date:      Wed, 03 May 2000 14:22:25 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Unisys Patent vs Compress

It was my understanding that compress was covered by the unisys lzw
patents.  Are there issues with including it in the tree?  Is there
some license from Unisys that I'm unaware of that allows its use?  Are
we going to be a target of the Unisys legal department if we keep it
in the tree.  They are going after web sites with GIF right now.  Is
there anything that we need to worry about?

Warner