Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2001 19:24:15 -0600
From:      "Mario Doria" <madd@tecdigital.net>
To:        "Conrad Sabatier" <conrads@home.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: XFree86 4.1.0 -- Intel i810 driver needs kernel support

> I'm trying to help a friend configure his X server under FreeBSD
4.4-STABLE
> with XFree86 4.1.0 (installed from the ports collection).
>
> Anyone know what this AGP GART stuff means and/or how to configure it into
> the kernel???  I can't seem to get the driver to work for him at present.

Quoting the FreeBSD Handbook:

"5.4.3.1 Configuration with Intel i810 Graphics Chipsets
Configuration with Intel i810 integrated chipsets requires the agpgart AGP
programming interface for XFree86 to to drive the card. To agpgart, the
agp.ko kernel loadable module needs to be loaded into the kernel with
kldload(8).
This can be done automatically with the loader(8) at boot time. Simply add
this line to /boot/loader.conf:
    agp_load="YES"

Next, a device node needs to be created for the programming interface. To
create the AGP device node, run MAKEDEV(8) in the /dev directory:
    # cd /dev
    # sh MAKEDEV agpgart

This will allow configuration the hardware as any other graphics board
"

The URL is:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-config.html

Mario Doria