Date:      Sun, 02 May 1999 10:04:57 -0400
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD interrupt responsetime...

And for something completely different, I've got some data measured a bit
differently.  This is with a 1-Hz periodic interrupt source, multi-user
mode, with a "normal" vs. FAST_INTR service routine.

This is a dump of the buckets kept in the device driver of number of times
that the interrupt service latency was between the intervals listed.

       5us <=   250831 <        6us
       6us <=   751473 <        7us
       7us <=    67305 <        8us
       8us <=     5032 <        9us
       9us <=     1467 <       10us
      10us <=      877 <       11us
      11us <=      518 <       12us
      12us <=      369 <       13us
      13us <=      165 <       14us
      14us <=      112 <       15us
      15us <=      469 <       16us
      16us <=      199 <       17us
      17us <=       18 <       18us
      18us <=        9 <       19us
      19us <=        5 <       20us
      20us <=       12 <       22us
      22us <=       12 <       24us
      24us <=        5 <       28us
      32us <=        1 <       35us
      50us <=        1 <       75us
     100us <=        2 <      250us

The hardware configuration is a 233MHz Pentium MMX based Motorola CPV5000
CompactPCI system board, with a Datum bc635CPCI time and frequency processor
board.  The PCI bus this is connected to is one bridge away from the CPU
and is the normal 32 bit wide, 33MHz variety.  This system's got an fxp0
ethernet and adaptec SCSI on board.  This system was far from idle when
this data was collected, with substantial network and disk activity during
some periods.

(For detail on the hardware, see: http://www.mcg.mot.com/WebOS/omf/GSS/MCG/prod
ucts/proddb/templates/display_datasheet.html?[qrec=0000412+[prodid=CPV5000
http://www.bancomm.com/cbc637cpci.htm )

I program the bc635 to generate an interrupt once each second, at about
500ms past the start of the second.  When the interrupt service routine is
invoked, I read the current time out of the board and see how long it took.

I'm more concerned at this point about the varience in response, rather than
the absolute latency; though I would like to improve that.  I've been thinking
about ways to instrument to low-level interrupt service code to capture
a timestamp and save it away somewhere prior to the splX() interrupt
scheduling.

Sounds like it would be worth trying to re-do this with a FAST_INTR service
routine to see how much of a difference that would make.  I'm using a
-current from early March as the basis of this work, and haven't tried to
merge any of the subsequent changes (newbus, etc.) until that's well
settled down.

louie