Date:      Thu, 25 Jul 2002 14:52:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Chris Coleman <chrisc@vmunix.com>
Cc:        qa@FreeBSD.org, re@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Update for 4.6.1 issues

On 25-Jul-2002 Chris Coleman wrote:
>> - weird install errors from CD on 4.6?
>>   - I might be able to test RC2 for this (not sure if I can do an
>>     install on the machine though)
>
> This particular error threw us for a loop for a while till we determined
> it was a driver error.  We sent out replacement CDs and they still didn't
> work. ;-)
>
> It appears to happen at exactly the same point during the install process
> for everyone, about 1/4 of the way through extracting files from the /bin
> distro.  From there is just locks up and the CD nolonger does
> anything.  Replacing the CD drive has been the only workaround so far.

Can you verify if these various drives use the same manufacturer and/or
did 4.5 work ok on these machines?  The one I had here 4.5 worked ok
just 4.6 died.  Also, if you have a machine available that this is
reproducible on, can you see if 4.6.1-RC2 images have the same
problem?  Thanks tons for the confirm.