Date:      Wed, 5 Mar 2003 08:27:29 +0000
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        "Imtiaz, Fazle" <fimtiaz@Hanovermeasurement.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hyper Threading Support in FreeBSD 4.7

On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 08:27:21PM -0600, Imtiaz, Fazle wrote:
> I run a very high traffic web site with FreeBSD 4.7 and am considering
> moving into Dual Xeon based platform. Does FreeBSD 4.7 support
> hyper threading and if it does, are there any known issues and problems
> with it? My system is already SMP enabled, does anything special need
> to be done?

4.7 supports hyperthreading only if the BIOS includes the virtual
CPUs in the MP table. Some BIOSes do this, and others do not.

4.8-PRERELEASE will always enable hyperthreading if the processors
are capable of it. 4.8-RELEASE will probably make this a kernel
option, so people who don't want hyperthreading can turn it off.
John Balwdin is finalising the details of the option at the moment.

	David.