Date:      Sun, 7 Feb 1999 21:48:41 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        root@isis.dynip.com, stuyman@confusion.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, rivers@dignus.com
Subject:   Re: Fw: HELP!!!!

> Is there a way to keep people from doing this who aren't supposed to? Like if I set up a BSD box in a library and someone knows how to do that, is there a way to stop them? (Or do I just put a password on the BIOS so they can't reboot fully?)

 I seem to recall there was a method for password protecting
single user mode... I'm not sure if it's in FreeBSD or not...
That is, to enter single user mode required the root password (which
sorta defeats the purpose of the original question.)

 But - barring some mechanism like that; there's no way.

 And, even if you had that mechanism - presumably that person who
knows how do to this also knows (or can deduce) how to make a bootable
floppy that would get around any protection you offered.  Except, perhaps
password protection at the BIOS level.

	- Dave Rivers -