Date:      Wed, 8 May 1996 18:24:04 -0700
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        current@freebsd.org
Cc:        nisha@cs.berkeley.edu
Subject:   more than 32 scsi disks on a single machine ?

Can we connect more than 32 disks on a single machine?  I tried
modifying MAKEDEV but the minor numbers of new ones just get wrapped
around (e.g., sd32a becomes major 5 and minor 0, instead of major 4
and minor 256).

Investigating further, I found this is in <sys/types.h>

#define	makedev(x,y)	((dev_t)(((x) << 8) | (y)))	/* create dev_t */

So it seems like we're limited to 32 disks.  Will really bad things
happen if I try to change this?  Will devfs handle this correctly?

Satoshi