Date:      11 Oct 2001 01:32:34 +0200
From:      Torbjorn Granlund <tege@swox.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Suggestion for FAQ

John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org> writes:

  On 10-Oct-01 Torbjorn Granlund wrote:
  > I'd suggest that some mention of Athlon SMP support is added to FAQ
  > 3.31.  Perhaps:
  >=20
  > "SMP currently only works for Intel(tm) hardware.  FreeBSD 5 will also
  > support SMP for Athlon systems."
=20=20
  FreeBSD 3.x and 4.x already support Athlon systems.  It's on the CD case =
for
  4.4 and should be in the release notes if not already.  Appropriate wordi=
ng
  should probably be added to the FAQ as well.
=20=20
You're not reading what I wrote, are you?  :-)

Athlon *SMP* systems are not supported, are they?
While I haven't really tried it, the kernel sources for 4.4 clearly
say only Intel SMP is supported.

FAQ 3.31 is about SMP support.  Since not all people read the source,
a mention in the FAQ about Athlon SMP non-support would be a good
idea.

Since you seem to be busy hacking SMPng, perhaps you could answer this
non-FAQ: I am about to get a new Athlon system replacing an older
Athlon system, The new system will use Tyan Tiger 246x.  Any chance
for -stable support for such a system (using both processors, that
is!), or do I have to live on the edge and use -current?

--=20
Torbj=F6rn