Date:      Fri, 1 Feb 2002 14:29:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mikko Tyolajarvi <mikko@dynas.se>
To:        erichey2@attbi.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: System slow when printer active

In local.freebsd.questions you write:

>I am on 4.4 (standard GENERIC kernel).

>I've setup the standard print controls using printcap and an if= that
>invokes ghostscript for ps files.  My printer (lpt0) is a laserjet.

>When the printer is active, ie while the spooler is dumping data to the
>printer, the system becomes very unresponsive.  Mouse movements and
>keystrokes are delayed for one or more seconds.

>What causes this?

Let me guess, "gs" uses up all available CPU, and the parallel port
generates 75% interrupt load (have a look with "top" and "systat -vm").

There might be some tweaks you can do with your kernel configuration,
or with lptcontrol, to make the parallel port more efficient, but
I'm not sure (My printers have been moved to ethernet and USB :-).
Check lpt(4) and lptcontrol(8).

  $.02,
  /Mikko
--