Date:      Fri, 9 Nov 2001 12:39:26 -0500
From:      "Jason Cribbins" <jasonc@concentric.net>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   strange natd/dhcpd problem on windows clients

Everything seemed to be working fine until a hardware failure caused me move
dhcpd and natd services from one system to another then things starting
going strange.

Previous natd/dhcp system was a Compaq P-90 running 4.3-Release and named,
natd, sendmail/qpopper, and dhcpd services to two subnets on lnc0 and rl0.

The onboard network interface (lnc0) began reporting rx buffer overflow and
was resetting more and more causing downtime far natd clients.  I then
removed rl0 and placed it in the www/ftp server and setup natd/dhcpd on that
machine and now I have the following trouble.

The www/ftp machine P2-400 running 4.2-Release and apache, mysql, wu-ftp,
natd, dhcpd services.

When I client connects to dhcp they get an IP normally and can begin using
natd gateway just fine.  The trouble occurs when the client sits idle for a
period of time (possible the lease time limit) then tries to use natd and is
unable to do so.  Ping to the gateway ip 192.168.1.1 results in "Host
Unreachable" message.  If one would check winipcfg it reports that lease is
current and ip is set within the proper range for the subnet.  If I click
release then renew the same IP is always reissued and everything begins
working again.

Is there some sort of problem with Windows boxes renewing leases or some
problem with running dhcpd/natd on 4.2-Release as opposed to 4.3-Release
that I don't know?  I have searched high and low for anything that might
point to a windows issue since to me I believe its the way windows is using
the dhcp process.  I have heard rumors that windows machines do not renew
leases properly and often hold IPs even after assigned to other clients but
am unable to see any documentation concerning this problem.

Can anyone out there shed some light on this for me?
Due to the nature and size restriction of this subnet pool I am not able to
increase lease time very high.  It was set to 600 default and max 7200.  I
have increased them to default 7200 and max 28800.  The trouble is less
apparent but I am running short on IPs when we have a more than one large
gathering of laptops in a short period of time.