Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2001 21:18:57 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@home.com>
To:        Dinesh Nadarajah <dxn1972@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, madd@tecdigital.net
Subject:   Re: XFree86 4.1.0 -- Intel i810 driver needs kernel support

On 19-Oct-2001 Dinesh Nadarajah wrote:
> I tried this before, but had no luck. I installed the very basic version
> of FreeBSD. No X. I am going to try this again and try the i810 drivers.
>
> what packages do I need to get X working:
>
> XFree86-Server-4.1.0_1
> XFree86-libraries-4.1.0
> XFree86-4.1.0_7
> freetype2-2.0.4

Do you already have these installed?  If so, you could probably use the
method suggested by Mario Doria and just load the agp module to get the AGP
support you need for the i810 driver.  I chose to build it into the kernel,
but the module should also be fine, too, if you'd rather not build a new
kernel.

Then just setup your /etc/X11/XF86Config file with the proper driver (quick
and easy way: just run "xf86cfg -textmode") and add the following line (very
important!) in the Device section:

        Option "NoDDC"

Should work.  It did for me.  :-)

--
Conrad Sabatier <conrads@home.com>

HOW YOU CAN TELL THAT IT'S GOING TO BE A ROTTEN DAY:
        #15 Your pet rock snaps at you.