Date:      Sat, 19 Dec 2015 13:27:39 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pkg info -B not listing all shared libraries

--1qH4WppRIga5a5nfFHlRIlEe8FaQIDsvX

On 19/12/2015 13:07, Dewayne Geraghty wrote:
> Does "pkg info -B $pkg_name" only list the shared packages from the fir=
st
> level of supporting "ports", or is it supposed to be all shared (ports'=
)
> libraries that are used?

It lists the shared libraries that are:

  * not provided by the base system
  * that any binary or shared library in the package has a reference to
  * but not any shlibs provided by the same package

The 'references' are as shown in the 'Dynamic Section' in the output of
'objdump -x filename'

This does not in general include grandchild dependencies of shlibs
directly required from the package.  The idea here is that the shlib
dependencies can be used for PROVIDES/REQUIRES style dependency
tracking.  We don't want to roll up all of the dependencies all the way
up the tree, because that means we'd end up reinstalling packages
unnecessarily if some grandfather shlib changed.

 	Cheers,

	Matthew