Date:      Sun, 20 Oct 2002 03:37:05 +0200
From:      Alex <freebsd@akruijff.dds.nl>
To:        "Omer Faruk Sen" <freebsd-questions@enderunix.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports update?

OFS> First I am sorry if here is not the right place to ask it. I am trying to
OFS> update a port but I am having a problem. I am in fact having problems while
OFS> patch'ing my old port. Here is what I have done.

I use the portupgrade for this. First you have to install it.

1) cd /usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade
   (please check if this is the rigth directory)
2) make clean install clean
3) rehash
   (Afther this you can use the tools
4) portversion
   (port that end with < are old ports, ready for a update)
5) portupgrade -fRr port
   (This will update your port)
   (Rr = update all dependency ports to)
   (f = force a recompile even if the port is up to date)

(Check pkg_deinstall to remove a port)

Your done.

The bottom seem to me to be all wrong to me.

OFS> #cp -r category/ports category/ports.old
OFS> #cd category/ports
OFS> <making changes>
OFS> #cd /usr/ports/category
OFS> #diff -ruN ports.old ports >patch

OFS> I have 2 questions here.
OFS> 1)I have to remove a directory from my port. How can I do that? I have rm
OFS>  -fr /usr/ports/category/ports/files but it didn't work since patch didn't
OFS> remove that directory.

OFS> 2)After patching ports with `patch < patch' i see files with *.orig but I
OFS> think they shouldn't be there.

OFS> I have read the porters' handbook of course. But I think there can be a
OFS> ports' upgraders :) section too in that guide.

OFS> Thanks for your help.

OFS> with "unsubscribe freebsd-questions" in the body of the message

Dear Omer,

--
Best regards,
Alex

The FreeBSD handbook
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html

How to get the best results from FreeBSD-Questions
http://www.lemis.com/questions.html