Date:      Sat, 29 Aug 1998 12:10:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "William R. Somsky" <wrsomsky@halcyon.com>
To:        Fedor.Gubarev@itep.ru
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Failed to build kernel...

> Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 20:32:05 +0400 (MSD)
> From: Fedor Gubarev <Fedor.Gubarev@itep.ru>
> To: freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: Failed to build kernel...

> I wonder if this is a bug or I'm missing something...
> Today the "installworld" worked fine for me until
> the kernel building:
>
> ------------------------------------
> gcc -c -O -pipe -Wreturn-type -Wcomment -Wredundant-decls -Wimplicit
> -Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes  -Wpointer-arith
> -nostdinc -I- -I. -I../.. -I../../../include -DMSDOSFS -DNFS -DFFS -DINET
> -DMD5 -DCOMPAT_43 -DKERNEL  ../../kern/vfs_bio.c
> ../../kern/vfs_bio.c: In function `getblk':
> ../../kern/vfs_bio.c:1177: `LK_EXCLUSIVE' undeclared (first use this
> function)
> ../../kern/vfs_bio.c:1177: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only
> once
> ../../kern/vfs_bio.c:1177: for each function it appears in.)
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> -------------------------------------

Same problem here...

> At the moment it seems that there a list of other undeclared
> macroses in the kernel src: LK_EXCLUSIVE, LK_RETRY, LK_INTERLOCK .....

> The source tree was cvsup'ed today from cvsup.freebsd.org.

Ditto...

> Any suggestions ?

I'm currently trying a "find /usr/src -name "*vfs*" -print | xargs rm"
and a re-cvsup, to see if there's anything strange on my system --
mostly as just a random something that I can do, rather than with
any particular expectation of it helping -- and...  now it works!

I don't _think_ I tweaked anything else between it failing and working.
Unfortunately, I don't have a record of what the before-and-after
differences of my /usr/src tree.  Wait... in vfs_bio.c:1177, the
line has been changed to remove the reference to LK_EXCLUSIVE...

So, what happened?  Did my "find | xargs rm" help, or did that file
just happend to get changed on the repository right inbetween my
trials?  I dunno...

Incidentally, on the subject of cvsup, I understand that it won't
delete files that it doesn't have a record that it created, but
isn't-there/shouldn't-there-be some way to get it to at least _list_
what files are present on the local system don't exist on the master
server?  I've had crufties left over a time or two from when something
got out of sync, and since I'm coming in over a dialup line for my IP,
I really don't want to delete the whole tree and re-cvsup it in it's
entirety.  Cvsup of /usr/src and /usr/ports works fine for me over
the phone for updates, say once to a few times a week -- takes a five
minutes or so -- but a full checkout of the entire tree takes hours --
I've only done that once or twice, when things seemed to have gotten
way out of sync.

Even just a (checksummed?) list of the /usr/src, /usr/ports tree,
possibly just stored as an extra file in those trees would be all
I need to detect crufties...